Your support is needed urgently
LEGISLATIVE CALL TO ACTION
FILE WITNESS SLIPS
AND URGE THE COMMITTEES TO OPPOSE HOUSE BILL 0255
FACT: Rent control is currently prohibited throughout Illinois
In 1997 the State of Illinois passed the Illinois Rent Control Preemption Act. I.R.P.O.A. worked very hard getting that law passed.
FACT: There are currently forces at work trying to eliminate that prohibition!
HB0255 (Guzzardi) - Rent Control was reintroduced in the Illinois House of Representatives and scheduled for a vote WEDNESDAY, February 19th starting at 8:30 a.m. in the House Judiciary Commercial Law Committeeand the House Judiciary - Civil Committee. HB0255 would REPEAL the Rent Control Preemption Act, allowing all Home Rule communities in Illinois to impose Rent Control.
It opens the door to a nightmare scenario. Not only would rent control discourage investment and devastate housing. This bill has the potential to have the same property be governed by more than one rent control ordinance. For example, the county and the city could both enact their own rent control rules.
FACT: If you don’t own rental property, this affects you, too!
Rent control has an obvious impact on income. That will mean less discretionary spending by property owners and investors. There's more! When commercial rental property assessments decline, who has to pick up the slack? Single-family homeowners.
Rent control hurts everyone.
Contact your State Representative and ask them to VOTE NO on HB0255 (Guzzardi)
Call the Members of the House Judiciary Commercial Law Committee
Call the Members of the House Judiciary - Civil Committee
CLICK HERE to Send Your VOTE NO Message!
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?The time for action is NOW!
- FOR WEDNESDAY, February 19: File a Witness Slip OPPOSING Rent Control. File OPPOSING HB0255 here and here
- Witness Slips are easy to complete and take only minutes of your time. Please file both Slips.You must make your opposition loud and strong by filing in each Hearing. Make your voice heard before time runs out! Do this now, please!
- Contact your State Legislators. Go here to find your elected officials. Let them know you oppose HB0255, and that rent control hurts everyone, especially those in need of affordable housing!
Haven't filled out a Witness Slip yet? It's really very simple. Here's all you need to provide:
- Your Information: Fill in your name identification
- Representation:You can list more than one thing here: self, your business, I.R.P.O.A. or other groups.
- Position:Please file as an Opponent (Opposing the legislature lifting the ban on rent control)
- Testimony:Record of Appearance Only - this doesn't mean you need to be there - you are appearing via Witness Slip
- NOTE: If you are going to be there and want to talk - Oral, If you are sending or handing in written testimony - Written Statement Filed
Then agree to the ILGA terms and hit the button to create the witness slip.
Yes; We've been through this year after year. And, we must stand strong; See it through.
These issues will only go away when each one of us does our part.
WE NEED TO MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD - TAKE ACTION TODAY!
Thank You for your Grass Roots Support!